Saturday, March 12, 2011

Just Friends.

After an incredible time at the Brad Paisley concert, which was in a suite no less, and a couple of weeks worth of dates at Flying Saucer, Las Maracas, Drag Bingo, Showtunes, and 12 South Tap Room, things came to an end before anything really got started.

Before I get too ahead of myself, let me rewind a bit.

The Brad Paisley show was great, he and Darius Rucker put on a fantastic concert.  I was greatly amused when Darius decided to bust out some old school Hootie and the group of 16 year olds who were also in our suite had no idea, whatsoever, what was going on.  Kids these days just have no appreciation for some of the finer things in life I suppose.  Since the concert, the boy and I have spent a bit of time together, hanging out at various eateries and watering holes around town.  He even started taking a liking to my friends, and them to him.  Nothing incredibly exciting was happening, more so going along at a casual dating pace...and to be honest, I never really understood what 'casual dating' actually means anyway.

About a week ago I took advantage of the Living Social deal, two movie tickets for $9...how could I pass that up?  The boy mentioned an interest in Red Riding Hood, and I didn't think it looked terrible either, so I figured I'd get the deal and use it for date night to see the movie.  Even if the movie did end up completely sucking, at least it only cost a fraction of what an actual movie ticket costs.

A week's time passes and still continuing to hang out with the boy, and eventually movie date night gets here.  I woke up yesterday morning, went for my daily run, went to work, ran a few errands, all the while not hearing from the boy.  I just figured he was busy with work of his own, and we'd get in touch sometime in the afternoon.  We had made plans to see the movie earlier in the week, and I knew roughly what time he'd be out of work, so I went ahead and used my sweet deal on movie tickets for an evening showing.  

At some point in the afternoon I was finally able to touch base with the boy.  We briefly chatted about our day's events up that point and then he dropped the bomb:

'Hey, can we chat about something real quick?'

Uh huh.  I suddenly had a feeling where this was about to go.  I'm not one to sugar coat things at all, so I wanted him to get to the point ASAP.  Per the usual, he began saying "Well I want you to know that I think you're a wonderful guy...."

Stop right there.  If you thought I were so incredibly wonderful, we would not be having this conversation.

He proceeded to tell me how much he enjoyed all the time we've been spending together and blah, blah, blah.  I really just needed him to cut to the chase.  Buttering me up first wasn't going to win any points.  And of course he said he would still love to be my friend, because he still enjoys my company, and I'm still so great blah, blah blah etc. etc. etc.  It was the typical "let's just be friends" conversation.  Probably one of the worst conversations ever in my opinion.  To top off this spectacular conversation, he added that we should not hang out that evening.

Fantastic!  Now I have 2 movie tickets to go see a movie...by myself.

Before closing our conversation he asked if I would give him a call today, or perhaps even Sunday and we could get together.  My only reply was "I'm busy."

I quickly needed to do some damage control, I sure did not want the movie tickets to go to waste.  I gave my single friend A-Lo a ring, I knew she'd be up for a date night with me.  Who could pass up the chance for a dinner and a movie with a semi-attractive and decent guy?....well don't answer that, because apparently quite a few people have had no problem passing the chance up....

A-Lo and I enjoyed Las Maracas for dinner, and the movie did end up sucking.  Big time.  We ended up having a good time though, which is usually the case when the two of us get together.

Vacation Jake says I need to find someone who can keep up with me, but that's a tall order to fill...I tend to live in the fast lane.  I guess this is just one more loss for me to cut.  Just being friends rarely works in my opinion.  Somehow a certain awkwardness develops in the course of trying to date then transitioning to being friends...though there have been some exceptions to the rule.  I'm busy this weekend with work and my other friends and in just a few days my BFF will be visiting from home anyway, so now I don't think I will have much time to spend with my new found friend, and frankly, I'm not really in the market for new friends anyway.      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment