Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Collateral Damage.

Saturday morning rolled around, and surprisingly, I was not hungover.  I quickly rolled out of bed and scrolled through my phone to take a quick glance at any damage that may or may not have been done through the course of my impromptu speeding date.  Luckily, all I could find were some off the wall texts to the BFF back home and a couple of new phone numbers.  Nothing that could not be easily taken care of with the quick use of the ever so handy delete function.  No one from the night before made that great of an impression on me, so damage control only took a couple of seconds.

I couldn't spend too much time fretting about events from the previous night, I had met a few new people, crossed a few off the list, and got started with the day.

Saturday afternoon was just another day at work, and when closing time finally rolled around, I was ready to punch out and head over to Alex's birthday soiree.  The party was full of the usual suspects; some Grizzles, the Homeowner, Vacation Jake...just to name a few.  Once again, I was mingling with everyone, and I was getting a bit of a late start...most of these fools had been drinking all afternoon.  I needed to catch up asap.

My cup stayed full of beer and even added a few jello shots to the mix.  Next thing I knew, I was in the middle of a fierce flip-cup competition, however we weren't using normal, regulation size Solo cups.  We were playing with plastic Dixie cups, the kind you get mouthwash in at the dentist.  Nothing like a quick shot of beer!  With a flip-cup winning streak about a mile long, and cycling through opposing team members like they were going out of style, how could anything go wrong?

A fresh batch of opponents stepped up to the counter to take on my team, and suddenly I was face to face with someone I tried to avoid for the past few months.  I won't name any nicknames, as to protect the innocent, and perhaps not so innocent in this case, but it's someone I actually was very interested in and thought I did a pretty damn good job of moving past.  Holding no ill-will or animosity, I cordially took on my new foe and following suit, we defeated that team as well.

By this point I had had enough shots of beer, and in the world of flip-cup, it is always best to go out on top.  I bowed out of the competition and tried to rejoin the party.  Just when I thought I was in the clear, The Past had come to strike up a conversation.

I remained cordial and we covered the basics; how are you, what are you up to, it's been awhile etc etc.  I really did not see the point of diving too deeply into a profound conversation, after all, he made it clear that he did not have time for me, he even deleted me on FaceBook, and I had cut my losses months ago.  Suddenly, the cordial conversation took a drastic turn, and apparently it became my fault that The Past and I had not spoken in months.

Completely caught off guard by where any of this was coming from, we shuffled from the middle of the party action and into the hallway, as to not become the center of attention.   I felt like the conversation was just going in circles.  I wasn't trying to make amends and see what spark could be rekindled, I was fine with the clean and clear cut, we could chat here and there if we were to run into each other at the bar or a party, but things did not need to be much deeper than that.

I politely excused myself from the chit-chat for just a moment to use the restroom.  I am still not too certain as to was actually happened during the 36 seconds it took me to pee, but when I came out of the bathroom, The Past was crying, and these were no alligator tears.

All I could think was...WTF.

There was no turning back now.  Obviously something had happened, though I do not think I am to blame for the sudden show of waterworks.  It's hard to be discrete at a party when somebody starts crying, and now I was looking like the bad guy.  All The Past could tell me was that I could not even begin to understand his life before he had met me.  However, I could say the same to him, but without crying about it.  By this point, I'm sure people's curiosities were peaked, and there was not much I could do to remedy the situation.

All I could do was walk away.  No good would come from this, and to prevent myself or The Past from looking like a complete idiot at someone else's birthday party, I would have to be the one to leave.  I said good-byes to the birthday boy and the remaining guests before heading home for the night.  I guess the combination of alcohol and my heart breaker tendencies is just too much for some people to bear.  It was just another strange night to add to my list of many, and frankly, the damage is done.      

No comments:

Post a Comment