Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Meat Market.

Yesterday afternoon I traded my stone age-esque phone in and upgraded to a Blackberry.  I now get to see what it's like to have every social networking site at my fingertips at all times.  I admit that I am not very progressive when it comes to my choice for cellular phone devices.  I really only need some sort of apparatus to send a text message, because I'm not one to spend much time even speaking on the phone.

As I was becoming acquainted with my new toy, I was discovering a whole new world of  interesting things.  My phone was now linked to Facebook, Twitter, and FourSquare...what more could I possibly need?  Supposedly Match.com and Chemisty.com have mobile applications as well, but since I am not even a fan of using them on my laptop, I sure do not need them on my phone, so I opted against downloading those.  However, my friend Asshat introduced me to the mobile app known as Grindr.

Grindr is a virtual meat market.  It is just a page full of guys in your immediate area, arranged in order of distance from closest to furthest from you.  The profile is quite simple, it only consists of a picture, age, height, weight, and how many feet away they are located.  There isn't any messing around with likes and dislikes, or things such as relationship essentials.  It is probably the most superficial way to meet someone, and certainly used almost solely for hook-up purposes, but perhaps something decent will come of it.  Click on a picture and initiate a conversation...that's about all there is to it.

However, if you think about it, scanning the bar to catch someone's eye is pretty superficial too.  If you see someone you're attracted to, you might go up and say hello, but if you aren't attracted to them, no matter how wonderful of a personality they may have, you probably aren't giving them a second glance. It is totally judging a book by it's cover.  Most people don't go out with a list of things they are interested in to hand out to people at the bar or the coffee shop, so why do I need a list of things on a dating site?  Grindr cuts to the chase.  If you're good looking, around an age I'd be interested in, and close by, let's chat...we can deal with the details later.

I only had a brief sampling of Grindr last night, as I was too focused on watching Glee and putting the finishing touches on the Christmas decorations in The Attic.  Obviously when I am sitting in The Attic, I won't have much use for Grindr, but it could come in handy on the nights that I am out at bars other than Tribe...it may even be useful when I'm at work, I am sure Cool Springs is full of homos.

Grindr is just one more tool to add to my arsenal of social networking sites, and frankly I'm all for social networking!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the BLACKBERRY!!! You'll love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of awesome cell phones!! Soon you'll upgrade from the blackberry to a Droid!

    ReplyDelete