Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

OkCupid.com wished me a Happy 26th Birthday this morning.  I am completely content with turning another year old, because in my opinion I am one year closer and a few grey hairs to becoming a stunning silver fox.  I'd like to have a full head of silver hair by time I am 30, a la Anderson Cooper.  But after wishing me a Happy Birthday, OkCupid's email says:

"Still single? Come check out your matches and find the men who want to meet you for your birthday!"


What the hell is that about OkCupid??  Yes, I am still single, thank you for pointing that out, but from what I can tell, there is not a line of people dying to meet me for my birthday.  Perhaps I'd have better luck on Craigslist with something like that.  I don't have a problem with getting older, I do have a problem with the perpetual single-ness that I have been experiencing, and I don't need an online dating website to bring that to my attention. 


Having a date on my birthday would have guaranteed company for lunch or dinner, but perhaps I'll just treat myself at my favorite Mexican cantina anyway.  I'm a grown man, surely I can handle having lunch on my own, and if nothing else, Jose can be my date in the form of a delicious margarita, on the rocks, with salt.  


The older I get and the more profiles I encounter online, the more I wonder why these people attempt to shave years off of their ages.  Some people really do look a bit younger than what they actually are, and I mean a bit...just a bit.  Chances are if you are 40, you still aren't passing for 32.  If you tell me that you are 32 when you're actually ten years older, I just might think you've had a rough life in the fast lane and should probably tone it down a bit.  Plus if you're willing to 'fib' about your age, what else are you covering up?  If you're older, just admit it.  With age comes experience and maturity....sometimes.  Perhaps that's what I am looking for.  I don't think I'd care to date a 21 year old at this point in my life, but a 30 year old sounds good to me!  


I have decided that from now on I will start telling people that I am older than what I actually am.  I know that I can't pass for a 21 year old anymore, but if I told you that I was 32, you'd probably think I was aging incredibly well.  I had a blast being 25, but here's to turning 26, and frankly, I am ready to take on another year!  

2 comments:

  1. This family would rather not have another age lying meeting at the coffee shop experience so keep it in line.

    and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete