Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Today I Wear Purple.

To honor the people who took their lives due to homophobic abuse and bullying today's post is not about my crazy dating life, but for anyone who might not have the chance to have a dating life of their own because of who they chose to date. 

I am lucky enough to have a wonderful group of friends and family who support me, for being me.  Sadly though, not everyone is as fortunate as I am, and there are people out there who may feel alone and as though they have nowhere to go.  In the wake of the recent and senseless teen suicides, more attention needs to be brought to the fact that we are all people, and we all should be able to love who we choose to.  No single person should feel ashamed or be bullied for being gay, lesbian, bi, or transgender, especially to the point where they feel the need to take their own life.  

I realize that I am not quite at the level of Carrie Bradshaw or Perez Hilton, though at times I would like to think that I am, but I do hope that somewhere, at least one person is reading this and realizes everything will be alright.  As alone as you may feel for being a bit different than everyone else, just know there is hope for you yet.  Suicide is not the answer, and sticking around for just one more day, week, or year can make all the difference.  Tomorrow you could meet your best friend or even the man or woman you spend the rest of your life with, but there is only one way to find out, and that's by being here and being you. 

Great change will not happen overnight, but by bits and pieces at a time.  8 years ago I had a secret that I could never share with anyone, but things started looking up as soon as I could accept it, and tell one person, and then another, and then a few more, and finally became comfortable with being myself.  There is nowhere to go from here but up, and frankly it gets better.   


No comments:

Post a Comment