Thursday, August 26, 2010

e-not so harmonious.com

Let's be honest here, online dating is the most convenient and efficient way to meet someone, and within in the first few minutes realize it probably isn't going anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having someone from across the bar send a drink over to me, but this situation is a rare occurrence.  With the luck I have, someone in the bar is more likely to walk over to me and ask me to buy them a drink...yes it has happened before.

Ads for online dating sites constantly bombard the commercial breaks for all of the reality shows I find myself watching on any given night of the week.  I have no problem with putting up an online dating profile, I really don't have much to hide at this point in my life.  However, I do have a problem with paying for an online dating site.  I really could just go troll around a bookstore, or some downtown bar to meet people, but my time is precious.  I need a handful of matches thrown my way, so I can pick and choose...mostly deny....at my own discretion from the comfort of my attic bedroom.  I opt not to use sites such as Match.com or eHarmony, well actually eHarmony opted not to use me, I would have to go to compatiblepartners.com for their services, but instead I use free dating sites.  OkCupid and Plenty of Fish...here I come!  Unless there is a free event weekend...which come to find out is not all that free (like a certain Chemistry.com), I stick with anything that has the price of 0.  And I have come to notice, you really do get what you pay for, in this case, I pay nothing so I get nothing.

My profiles are generally witty, please feel free to reference my 'About Me' in this blog, and I feel like they would convey that I am a nice guy who knows how to have a good time.  However on any dating site I guess my profile actually gives off the impression that I am looking for someone over twice my age, willing to join a preexisting couple, or dying to meet someone with the name of BlkThug4WhtJock.    I really do attract a lot of black thugs actually, it must be my inner Detroiter, and yes that is an actual screen name, no it's not my screen name.

People call me picky, but I really do fall head over heels for that one that can use Your and You're, and It's and Its correctly, bonus points for There/Their/They're.  Sadly, that's all it takes to get me on a date.  Impress me with your grammar and I'm sold!  I almost instantly reject the profile that uses abbreviations for common words or TyPes LiKe ThIs.  And if you use the word 'kewl' please don't even bother.  It must be the 100K I spent on my education, but I love good grammar.

I wonder if paying for a dating site really would deliver the match who has impeccable grammar and knows that 'kewl' is not a word, but I am too broke to pay for a subscription, and frankly, that's money that can be used at some happy hour around town when I meet up with a free match.

1 comment:

  1. LOOOOVE YOU! And I donate $3 to the cause, I am pretty curious if they really can back up their talk of really finding your true match...

    ReplyDelete